AAP Supporter Testimonials



"Artists at Play is one of the smartest, fearless, supportive theatre companies I've ever had the pleasure of working with. They have had a tremendous impact on my career—especially with the success of my play Two Mile Hollow

In 2015-Julia emailed me and asked if I had any plays that could potentially be submitted to Artists At Play's annual reading series. I sent them an early draft of Two Mile Hollow—a satire of white people by the water plays (a genre where white people sit in a big house by the water and complain about their problems)—which was at the time did not cast actors of color playing white people on the central parts. This idea was sparked by Artists at Plays casting department and completely elevated the script's intention and made the satire more biting and nuanced. The next year, Artists at Play and Second Generation productions presented a reading of the play at CAATA and I got to meet and share the work so many amazing people. In 2017, Two Mile Hollow was on the 2017 Kilroys List and is currently receiving a simultaneous world premiere in four different cities. The play just closed in Chicago after receiving nothing but rave reviews. I'm so excited to present the play with Artists At Play—the very company who gave this play a chance in the first place and made me see the potential it had from a wider lens. It would probably still be an unopened document on my computer if it were not for the good folks at Artists at Play! 

Also everyone is amazing and a joy to he around and work with. If I were super rich I would give them all my money." 

Leah Nanako Winkler, playwright


"Post-college I had already hit a period of burnout as a stage manager. Between the transition to the 'real world' and a few bad experiences, I decided to take a step back from it. After helping out on their 2015 kick off event, Artists at Play asked me to stage manage In Love and Warcraft. I decided to give them a chance and was blown away. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It renewed my passion and reminded me of why I loved what I do.

Artists at Play is a group that helped me to find my community within the theatre world. They helped me be more in touch with the issues that underrepresented communities in the arts face and how I can have a voice in that discussion. Through Artists at Play I was able to build meaningful connections with other artists, which has been a huge benefactor to my consistent work after relocating to New York City. They gave me the opportunity to truly grow as a professional and were instrumental in my development as a stage manager.

Artists at Play is a special group that I consider an artistic home. Their commitment to the work they produce shines through from the big picture decisions down to simply making sure everyone is fed and taken care of. They are a vital organization that needs to continue to grow both in the Los Angeles area and nationally. I look forward to seeing what they do next and can’t help but feel slightly jealous that I won’t be a part of it directly!"

Jonathan Castanien, stage manager and publicist



"I support Artists at Play because of their mission to tell stories of communities underrepresented in theatre. I support them because they bring new works to life, by playwrights, especially Asian Americans, that have not had their stories told, and they provide opportunities for people of color in roles normally inaccessible. And I support AAP because they're bringing these new stories to the stage for the first time with such world premieres as The Two Kids that Blow Shit Up by Carla Ching, and Two Mile Hollow by Leah Nanako Winkler. They bring us new voices, new stories, and new storytellers."

Randy and Mari Tamura, Artists at Play Originator donors


"Artists at Play provides a vital platform to share stories from the perspectives of Asian American playwrights, artists, and actors in the greater Southern California theatre scene. More importantly, it is a significant voice for a community that is often overlooked and unheard. I can’t imagine the gaping hole that would be left if Artists at Play did not exist today."

Helen Ota, former Artistic Director of Cold Tofu Improv


"Artists At Play has proven to be an essential part of lifting up Asian American voices.  Their impeccable taste, dedication to the work, and support of artists makes them a wonderful playground for amazing work to develop, grow and launch into the world.  They are a small and mighty leadership team that understands artistry as well as the business side of producing.  That combination will ensure its sustainability and impact on the field both locally and nationally.  You must support this bold and brilliant organization as they continue to shape the Asian American voice one artist at a time."

Randy Reyes, President of the Consortium of Asian American Theaters and Artists



"Artists at Play is a group with its feet firmly planted in the 21st Century, with eyes focused on the future, both for its art and for its audience. As a theatre with artists of color in its leadership, Artists at Play has a keen eye for works that speak to these emerging new audiences, both in content and in form. Los Angeles (and indeed, the country as a whole) has need of innovators in subject matter and approach; Artists at Play fulfills them well. It is an urgent task to connect with these audiences to represent their concerns for their sakes and the sake of other audiences (who are traditionally more represented), and Artists at Play has been an exemplary ambassador for this task."

Roger Tang, Godfather of Asian American Theatre



"As an Asian American theater arts leader who has produced and directed Los Angeles theatre since the 1980s, I have seen first hand how the demographic landscape has changed. The stories about the Asian and Asian American experience have grown exponentially. Theatres and other performing organizations giving voice to these stories have become instrumental to make our community visible on such a large landscape. Artists at Play has embraced telling these stories from the perspective of a younger generation whose mission is to share a unique experience specific to the Asian American community but universal to all communities. Not an easy task. With a particular focus on diversity and inclusion, Artists at Play advances the American theatre in a way that courageously prepares our community for the future of all American theatres. We need to support this small but mighty theatre because Los Angeles will soon be a model city that displays a multitude of cultural hubs instead of a singular place to find the many voices of this vibrant City. Play a leading role in Artists at Play’s success."

Tim Dang, former Producing Artistic Director of East West Players

We couldn’t do the work that we do without them and supporters like you. Please consider making a year-end, tax deductible donation to Artists at Play. Your contribution will go toward 2018 programming, including our new play development program, fall main stage production, and special events like our upcoming 4th annual Artists at Play ... at Play!

1 comment:

  1. This type of message always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content, so happy to find good place to many here in the post, the writing is just great, thanks for the post. original source

    ReplyDelete